The Gorge of Orbe
- 17 km
- Ascents | DescentsAscents | Descents
- 643 m | 943 m
- 4 h 30
- Technical | Fitness levelTechnical | Fitness level
- Family friendly | Moderatly difficult
This route of 17 km between Vallorbe and Orbe invites the hiker to walk into the heart of nature. The trail intersects with the Vallorbe Viaduct and leads down to the source of the River Day, it skirts the dams of the hydroelectric plants, passes through the village of Les Clées, and finally arrives in the town of Orbe after a walk of around 4 hours and 20 minutes.
Thanks to the natural reserve that has protected the site and its flora since 1970 and has guaranteed calm for the wildlife, this excursion allows the hiker to walk through a preserved natural environment.
Natural pine forests, oregano, wild thyme, juniper and certain orchids can be admired along the path, as well as glacial mills in the upper part of the village of Les Clées. The River Orbe is the habitat for trout, kingfishers, grey herons, chamois and even beavers on the lower part of the trail.
Parking possibilities in Vallorbe or Orbe, busses or trains between the two localities. Restricted schedules at weekends, but the possibility of using PubliCar service. Hikers are requested to follow the path and to respect the diversions. Great care is required on all paths.
- Approximate walking time:
- Vallorbe - Les Clées : 2h10 / back : 4h30
- Vallorbe – Saut du Day : 1h15
- Les Clées – Saut du Day : 1h20 / back : 3h00
- Les Clées – Montcherand : 1h15 / back : 3h30
- Orbe – Les Clées : 1h50
- Agence ADNV / Office du Tourisme d'Orbe Rue du Château 2 1350 Orbe +41 24 423 03 43 firstname.lastname@example.org yverdonlesbainsregion.ch