They may lie there peacefully today but they have moved the emotions of people for centuries or even millennia. They are known as bowl stones.
The Pagans often used to erect these erratic horizontal blocks, and they invoked the power emitted by them. Christians demonised them, knocked these Pagan stones over and even split them in order to break up their demonic powers. There is a bowl stone here too, at the highest point of the town’s mountain, and this was shifted naturally during the Ice Age.
- No parking available
- Suitable for families
- Suitable for groups
Good to know
- Around 60 minutes on foot
- Ideal for families but not particularly suitable for pushchairs
- Good shoes are recommended
- The stone is located a little off the beaten track
- Parking spaces at the station
Links & PDFs