At first, the « Cave de Berne » was owned by the monastery of Bellelay, where it was used for the vinification and preservation of the wine. The building was built in 1631.
The vineyards of the Domaine de la Ville de Berne cover a limestone moraine of the Jura between Gléresse and Le Landeron. The vineyards cover 20 hectares, separated into several grape varieties. Until 1970, the former cellars of the City of Bern were located in the Cour de Berne, which once belonged to the Bellelay Abbey. Today, the Domaine de la Ville de Berne has new cellars and modern presses in Les Lorettes in La Neuveville and the Cour de Berne is used as a cellar for tastings and receptions. The cellar, where one can still admire a huge press, can accommodate up to 200 people.
Good to know
- The Cave de Berne can be used for aperitifs, meals, (caterer and wine from the cellar), comities, shows, concerts (events)
- The big wine cellar can host 200 people for an aperitif and 100 for a meal
- Guided tours
- Suitable for groups