Jura Railways offer a unique service on the Glovelier - Saignelégier line: a train hold-up by a group of horsemen. The route can be travelled by steam or "Belle Epoque" train.
"A few years ago, the candidates for the election of "Miss China" were travelling through the Jura. For business reasons I was on the steam train carrying them from Glovelier to Saignelégier. Halfway through the journey, in a wild gorge, we suddenly heard gunfire... Frankly, the last thing I expected to see was a group of cowboys riding towards us along a small path. The four men approached the train very quickly, forcing it to stop. The leader of the gang entered the carriage and took two Chinese hostages. A little frightened to begin with, the two candidates followed the handsome Clint Eastwood-esque man with a Franches-Montagnes accent and got off the train, which then carried on. After a ride through the woods and the payment of a ransom, the girls were returned to us safe and sound - phew! As the train set off again, we were all astonished and amused."
Good to know
- Duration: about 2 hrs.
- Prices: rates depend on the type of train chosen and the number of people.
- Bookings: at CJ stations in the summer months. Not available if there is too much snow.
- Catering is available on board the trains.
- This offer can easily be combined with other activities offered by CJ (scooters, barbecue, tour of the BFM Brewery..
- Free parking
- Booking required
- Accessible by public transport
- Suitable for families
- Wheelchair accessible
- Suitable for groups
Links & PDFs