Guided city tour
Guided tours of Twann
- DauerRecommended Duration
- 1 h 30
Delicious wines have been produced in idyllic Twann (or Douanne) on Lake Biel for more than a thousand years.
A wide variety of traditional and new organic grape varieties grow between the striking drystone walls around Twann. Thanks to winegrowing that is close to nature, more and more endangered plants and animals such as birds, insects and reptiles are to be seen in the vineyards again.
But the wine cellars and stately houses also have exciting stories to tell. Why are there still working cable winches hanging in the dormers of the roof today? What was the function of an “autumn house” for the Bernese patricians and villagers? Why is there an old-fashioned lake dwelling museum in Twann? Why do the fishermen make more money from selling archaeological finds than from selling perch? How were the wine barrels “carried” across Lake Biel and the frozen ground? What is a “half-yield vine grower”? And why is Twannbach more than just an impressive waterfall?
During a guided tour, you will find out all about these stories from the winegrowing village which is well worth a visit, as well as the secrets of viticulture then and now.
- Prices for groupsPer group
- CHF 180.-
- Duration: 1 h 30 min.
- Groups min. 10 persons / max. 25 persons
- Twannbach Gorge path with its entrance at the Maillart bridge.
- “The House of Lake Biel Wines” is home to the regional wine information centre and the Federation of Lake Biel Winegrowers.
- “Viniterra”, the official wine cellar.
- Numerous catering and accommodation options.
- Tour through the vineyards on the Viniterra train.
- Paid parking
- Booking required
- Custom hours on request
- Suitable for families
- Guided tours
- Suitable for groups
- Public transport
- Bielersee Tourismus Burgweg 2513 Twann + 41 32 315 76 67 email@example.com bielersee-tourismus.ch