Museum of Art and History
- DauerRecommended Duration
- 1 h 0
Local history, trophies from the Battle of Morat (1476) and gun collection.
The Museum of Art and History of La Neuveville aims to preserve the historical heritage of the town of La Neuveville. Located at the foot of the Tour Carrée, an impressive stone building dating from 1520, this museum presents an important collection of objects and paintings testifying to the daily life of the Neuvevillois.
The Museum of Art and History of La Neuveville (MAHLN) aims to preserve and complete the collections related to the history of La Neuveville and its region (the former district of La Neuveville, the former Bishopric of Basel and the Canton of Bern). The main themes are economic, political and social life, particularly in relation to public and private buildings, businesses, events, sports and leisure activities, means of transport and communication, and daily life.
Over the years, the museum has been enriched by numerous donations and purchases to build up an important collection of historical documents, including manuscripts and prints, medals and old coins, weapons, paintings and engravings, books, clothing, photographs and postcards.
Housed in the former 14th century Town Hall, the museum presents the rich history of the region. The Salle des pas perdus, which was once a waiting room for the Salle de Bourgeoisie, is now the museum's reception area. Below, the Victor Gross room pays tribute to one of the fathers of modern archaeology and a child of the place. Neolithic objects from the lake stations of Lake Biel and a magnificent dugout canoe are exhibited here. The large hall houses the trophies of the Burgundian Wars, the booty taken from the troops of Charles the Bold at the battle of Murten in 1476. This world-famous collection of cannon and couleuvrines is completed, in particular, by medieval banners. The Neuvevillois and guild halls, housing Landolt stoves from the 18th century, allow visitors to discover furniture, engravings, paintings and everyday objects.
- From 2 Apr 2022 to 27 Oct 2030
- Saturday - Sunday
- 14:30 - 17:30
- Prices for groups (max. 20 people)Guided tour up to 10 people
- CHF 80.-
- Each additional person
- CHF 8.-
- Guided tour for schools from La Neuveville
- Guided tour for other schools
- CHF 100.-
- Combined tour Museum + Old Town
- CHF 150.-
- Prices per personEntrance
- Languages: French, German, Italian, English
- Admission is free but the museum relies on the generosity of its guests.
- It is possible to have a combined visit of the museum and the old town (1h30 - to be booked at the tourist office)
- No parking available
- Accessible by public transport
- Guided tours
- Suitable for groups
- Public transport
- Musée d'Art et d'Histoire de La Neuveville Ruelle de l'Hôtel de Ville 11 2520 La Neuveville +41 32 751 48 28 email@example.com museelaneuveville.ch
- Jura bernois Tourisme Rue du Marché 4 2520 La Neuveville +41 32 751 49 49 firstname.lastname@example.org jurabernois.ch