On 31 August 2024, a commemorative day will be held at La Caquerelle (in the canton of Jura) to mark the centenary of the La Caquerelle – Lausanne aerophilatelic flight, which took place on 31 August 1924 for the inauguration of “la Sentinelle” in Rangiers.
The 2024 event will aim to reconstruct this flight using a historic Fieseler Storch aircraft, which will land at La Caquerelle and transport the postal mail, postmarked on site, to Lausanne. It is particularly worth noting that only one aerophilatelic flight is organised per year in Switzerland; the 2024 edition is therefore a major showcase event for the canton of Jura.
In addition, La Poste will produce an official commemorative stamp and a postmark for the day, as was the case in 1924.
- The 31 Aug 2024
- A range of philatelic documents will be published for collectors. A full exhibition and a stamp sale on the subject will be held simultaneously at La Caquerelle.
- In addition, an aeromodelling demonstration will add to the excitement of the day.
- The event will be public and is likely to attract many curious aviation enthusiasts as well as stamp collectors from all over Switzerland and abroad. Shuttle and catering services are also provided.
- The official authorities of the Republic and the Canton of Jura will be represented during the event.
- Shuttle bus: From 8.45am, a shuttle bus will run every ½ hour between Glovelier station and La Caquerelle. The journey takes 10 minutes.