Côtes de l’Orbe AOC is distinctive for its terroir ideally suited to red grape varieties which are less common in the rest of the Vaud canton. Learn about this particular feature and many other secrets along this walk from the town of Orbe to the vineyard villages of Agiez and Arnex-sur-Orbe, where some twenty growers perpetuate a tradition of fine wines.
Situated between the Jura, the plain and the lakes, the Côtes de l’Orbe AOC wine region is atypical in that its wines have different characteristics to our other wine regions. Attracted by these unique features, a young generation of wine-producers is raising the profile of this terroir.
This vineyard walk – available on the Vaud:Guide free smartphone app – takes you through the important vineyard village of Arnex-sur-Orbe, to the little vineyards of Creux de Villars and Lavaux Vully. Here you can enjoy the wines of some twenty producers which mostly feature characterful red grape varieties, not forgetting the “roi chasselas”.
Along the walk, there are about thirty activities to enjoy, including multiple-choice questions, photos to shares and treasures to be found with your GPS, so you can win points and compare your knowledge with friends or members of your family.
Good to know
- If you want to shorten the walk a bit, you could take the postal buses between Orbe and Agiez or Arnex-sur-Orbe.
- The course is 11.9 km long and takes approximately three and a half hours.
- The walk is accessible for people of average fitness and children who can walk unaided. The bike route is not suitable for beginners, but it will appeal to seasoned cyclists.
- All along this walk, you will be guided by you smartphone (Android or iPhone). The application does not require any external connection; it works thanks to the GPS and asks that you authorise access to your location data. Before leaving, ensure that your mobile phone is fully charged or equip yourself with a battery charger.
- Good walking-shoes and a bottle of water are also advised.
- When you need a break...
- The scenery in Côtes de l'Orbe lends itself perfectly to well-deserved breaks. Be sure to respect nature and the private properties along the way; don't leave any other souvenirs of your passing-by than taking photos...
- The village cafés and restaurants along the way will gladly welcome you for a drink or a meal.
- Responsibility and security
- You undertake this stroll in the countryside, the town and the villages on your own responsibility. Please respect the countryside and the private properties. Be careful and read our safety reminder below, which ensures a safe stroll. In the event of an accident, Yverdon-les-Bains Region Tourism disclaims all liability.
- SAFETY reminders
- The stroll in the Côtes de l'Orbe vineyards takes you off the beaten track to typical villages and along the vines.
- During your discovery stroll, remember these safety instructions.
- Where should you walk?
- � Preferably use the sidewalks.
- � If there are no sidewalks, walk on the side of the road.
- � If you walk on the road, preferably use the left-hand side in the direction you walk in. Bikers have priority on the cycle tracks.
- How to cross a road?
- � Preferably use the pedestrian crossings.
- � If you see no crossing, cross the road where you have good visibility, avoid sharp turns, uphill areas, bridges and parking areas.
- � Be careful when you cross the road; choose a good moment and cross at a good pace.
- Thank you for your attention and caution. Enjoy your stroll in the heart of the Côtes de l'Orbe vineyards!