Visit the region of the Anabaptists, who fled to the Jura hills since the end oft he 17th Century.
A two-day hike on the Anabaptist Trail, or one-day field trip to these Anabaptist sites will reveal: secret meeting points with early inscriptions, paths alongside dry stone walls, the Anabaptist Bridge, and the extraordinary Anabaptist Archive with significant unpublished documents, books and other items. In the 17th Century many pursued Anabaptists took refuge in the Jura hills, which in those days belonged to the Diocese of Basel. The early Anabaptists worked in agriculture and thus contributed to the admirable landscape still enjoyed today.
Good to know
- Section 1: Sonceboz-Pierre Pertuis- Sonceboz
- Duration: 4 hrs 25 min
- Distance: 15 km
- Gradient: 553 m
- Section 2: Sonceboz-Creux de Glace-Chasseral
- Duration: 6 hrs
- Distance: 18 km
- Gradient: 183 m
- Difficulty: moderate
- Roman Pierre Pertuis tunnel, chapel with Anabaptist archives, old cart track, home of Morel, the Dean
- Anabaptists’ bridge, wooded pastures, old cart track
- Lunch options at the dairy farms: ‘’La Cuisinière’’, ‘’La Petite Douanne’’ or ‘’La Meuringue’’
- There is the possibility to book a package