The "Fondation pour le Cheval" is a retirement home for horses, ponies and donkeys comprising three sites. Created in 1958 by Hans Schwarz, the site at Le Roselet was the first to be founded.
"Last weekend, my husband and Iwere walking in the countryside around Saignelégier. We decided to go to Les Breuleux on foot and we were looking for a place to stop for lunch when we found the "Fondation pour le Cheval" in Le Roselet. After the meal, we saw that you could visit the premises. It was wonderful to see that horses could also relax and spend a peaceful retirement in the pastures of the Franches-Montagnes. There were also some donkeys and even a few foals. Animals are bred there as well, so the whole cycle of life from birth to death is represented. We saw that there were two other centres: Maison-Rouge, close to Les Bois and Le Jeanbrenin, near Tramelan. We will be visiting them on our future hikes."
Marjorie and Etienne
Good to know
- The restaurants at Le Roselet and Maison Rouge offer wheelchair access and disabled toilets.
- The Foundation also breeds Franches-Montagnes horses. Visiting the site is a real chance to discover the horse at every stage of its life.
- Samara and Annabelle invite guests to visit Le Roselet with the StoriaBox app.
- At Maison Rouge, Léo and Luna invite guests to take a guided tour with the StoriaBox app.
- At Le Roselet and Maison Rouge, tablets can be rented for a guided tour. Rental fee: CHF10.00.
- Free parking
- Suitable for families
- Wheelchair accessible
- On-site catering
- Guided tours
- Suitable for groups