The tour of the Lac de Joux is one of the most popular walks in the valley. This fairly flat route is a chance to discover Nordic-like scenery, tranquil lakeshores, varied ecosystems and the history of this birthplace of fine watch-making, while savouring local specialities.
The three lakes of the Vallée de Joux, fine watch-making and local produce, including cheese, are just some of the themes of the vineyard walk round Lac de Joux. Via your smartphone, follow the 30 points of interest along the route, punctuated with multiple-choice questions, photo ops and treasure hunts appearing automatically on your screen.
Wine tourism in the Canton of Vaud is a common objective shared by tourism professionals, restaurateurs, hotel operators and producers of local produce and wines. The Vallée de Joux is completely summed up in these values and restaurateurs are delighted to offer the chance to try local wines, particularly the wines of the nearby La Côte AOC vineyard.
Whether you want to do the full 25 km circuit of Lac de Joux or half of the route (from Le Sentier to Le Pont along the left shore or from Le Pont to Le Sentier along the right shore), the walk has something for all levels!
Good to know
- Guided by your smartphone, go on an adventure with friends, as a couple or as a family around Lac de Joux. Along the way, answer questions that will appear on your screen and collect a multitude of information on the area while having fun!
- The walk begins at Le Sentier or Le Pont and goes around the lake in a clockwise direction. To shorten the route, you could take the train which runs every hour between these two villages.
- Access with public transportation: regional train to Le Pont or Sentier-Orient.
- The journey extends over 24,6 kms. Allow for more than a five-hour walk.
- The excursion is accessible to persons of average fitness and children who are able to walk by themselves.
- All along this walk, you will be guided by you smartphone (Android or iPhone). The application does not require any external connection; it works thanks to the GPS and asks that you authorise access to your location data. Before leaving, ensure that your mobile phone is fully charged or equip yourself with a battery charger.
- Good walking-shoes and a bottle of water are also advised.
- When you need a break...
- The scenery in Vallée de Joux lends itself perfectly to well-deserved breaks. Be sure to respect nature and the private properties along the way; don't leave any other souvenirs of your passing-by than taking photos...
- The village cafés and restaurants along the way will gladly welcome you for a drink or a meal.
- Responsibility and security
- You undertake this stroll in the countryside, the town and the villages on your own responsibility. Please respect the countryside and the private properties. Be careful and read our safety reminder below, which ensures a safe stroll. In the event of an accident, Vallée de Joux Tourism disclaims all liability.
- SAFETY reminders
- The stroll in the Vallée de Joux takes you off the beaten track.
- During your discovery stroll, remember these safety instructions.
- Where should you walk?
- � Preferably use the sidewalks.
- � If there are no sidewalks, walk on the side of the road.
- � If you walk on the road, preferably use the left-hand side in the direction you walk in. Bikers have priority on the cycle tracks.
- How to cross a road?
- � Preferably use the pedestrian crossings.
- � If you see no crossing, cross the road where you have good visibility, avoid sharp turns, uphill areas, bridges and parking areas.
- � Be careful when you cross the road; choose a good moment and cross at a good pace.
- Thank you for your attention and caution. Enjoy your stroll in the heart of the Vallée de Joux!