Event − Art, Exhibition
Léopold and Aurèle Robert. Ô saisons...
The Neuchâtel artist, who enjoyed European acclaim during his lifetime, embodies the myth of the Romantic painter, doomed to a tragic fate and shrouded in mystery.
- La Chaux-de-Fonds & Neuchâtel
Educated in Paris at the École des beaux-arts and later in the studio of Jacques-Louis David, Robert moved to Italy in 1818. His genre paintings brought him great popular success during the first half of the 19th century, but were less fulsomely received by the critics.
The Musée d'art et d'histoire de Neuchâtel and the Musée des beaux-arts de La Chaux-de-Fonds have joined forces to pay tribute to the work of Léopold Robert and his brother Aurèle (1805–1871). The exhibition also re-examines Aurèle's role, considering him not only as a 'disseminator' of Léopold's oeuvre, but also as an artist in his own right.
The joint exhibition focuses on Léopold Robert's unfinished 'Seasons' cycle, and features works from both institutions as well as several prestigious loans. The exhibition in La Chaux-de-Fonds is given over to 'Spring', while Neuchâtel celebrates 'Summer' and 'Winter'. The exhibition also explores how these masterpieces were produced and circulated, and examines their depiction of music, dance and the beauty ideal.
- From 13 May 2023 to 12 Nov 2023
- Museum of fine arts of La Chaux-de-Fonds: open Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 5pm
- Museum of Art and History of Neuchâtel: open Tuesday to Sunday from 11 am to 6 pm
- Public transport
- Physical address
- Musée des beaux-arts Rue des Musées 33 2300 La Chaux-de-Fonds +41 32 967 60 77 email@example.com mbac.ch
- Musée d'art et d'histoire Esplanade Léopold-Robert 1 2000 Neuchâtel +41 32 717 79 20 firstname.lastname@example.org mahn.ch